Sunday, June 29, 2008

1957 Performer Havoc speed boat restoration transom and floor













This is old boat I bought w. my brother Ben for $600 we put in about $900 or so into materials and weeks of labor. When I found it in the classifieds it looked a lot better and I had no idea it had a completely rotten floor and transom. It's been quite a project, but it sure turns heads at the lake and is a lot of fun now. There are only three of these out there to my knowledge. Theres one in Las Vegas NV that is stripped and dry docked, mine, and one fully restored in England http://www.mydadstoys.co.uk/Cars/Performer.htm Ours is the only one of it's color scheme. I also installed in it an ahw- oooo- gah horn I had from a 1912 Dodge to add to the classic nature and character of the boat. The gas tank had to be fiberglassed inside and out. We also created a sight window to view the fuel level from the outside. I didn't get pictures, (didn't want resin all over my camera and then was too pooped to photo) but this project entailed a tremendous amount of fiberglass on the ribs, runners, transom, floor and bow. The entire floor and transom had to be fiberglassed in.

5 comments:

bajagal said...

Hi, I have a Performer Havoc too. I had to do the same sort of restoration on mine. I have it in Baja and love it. Right now I am looking for a new outboard. You have an 80 hp on yours? I had a 30 hp and it was great. I am in the States right now and don't have pics with me. It is my favorite boat.

bajagal said...

What color is yours? Mine is a turquoise blue with white. I purchased mine in Baja with the trailer for $20! The wheels promptly fell off and I graded the dirt road for the 10 miles to my house. The boat had been used for a trash dump for years and needed considerable fiberglass/bulkhead restoration. I lost the windshield unfortunately and one day may replace it.

Unknown said...

I know 7 years of silence is a long time, but by chance are you still around? I just bought a Havoc and would like to discuss it with you. My e-mail is imgvg@comcast.net and cell 650-619-8008. Thanks Glen

Carfix said...

Hey Glen, I don't have it anymore. I gave it to my brother and he took it with him to medical school in Texas where he sold it.

Carfix said...

Hey Mary, hope you're doing well and beat cancer. Min was red and white, but we painted it black and white (like every other vehicle I own). My windshield was trashed due to sun exposure so we entertained the idea of replacing it, but it was so much easier to just walk out through the front that we left it off. We seriously LOVED that boat! It was so many good memories and was so much fun! It was worth every penny and hour put into it. It was a dream to tow, start, and launch. that 80 hp Johnson with the push button shifting was pretty amazing (although not stock) too. It started so easy and just ran like a dream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kwQVDyOrD8